This first lesson uses only the 3 primary chords in the key of C, so if you’ve never played chords before this is the perfect place to start. I’ve selected Jingle Bells for this lesson, since it is loved by people of all ages and the melody and chord changes are not very difficult.
- Level 1 learn the melody and add simple single note harmony.
- Level 2 use chords to harmonize (in root position and voiced inversions.)
- Level 3 create arranged patterns for the left hand
- Print the PDF (optional) Available above. Ebook includes: Lead Sheets (both standard notation and alphanotes for beginners,) A Chord Reference Sheet and Chord Inversions and Voicings practice sheet.
- Watch the Video!
- Learn the carol well with right hand before attempting to add harmony with the left hand.
- Begin with the first level. Add single notes under the melody
- Practice the chord changes with left hand alone
- Work on playing the right hand with the chords – level 2A, start slowly.
- Move on to 2B, if you wish – start with working on the left hand.
- Level 3, optional. Have some fun with it!